The Wunderkammer Chronicles
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

A forum mainly for roleplaying in the World of Darkness - Changeling: The Dreaming storytelling system.

HomeHome  Latest imagesLatest images  RegisterRegister  Log in  

Anime Recommendations

Go down 
2 posters
AuthorMessage
Hedgefairy
Storyteller

Character Sheet
Name:

Anime Recommendations Empty
PostSubject: Anime Recommendations   Anime Recommendations EmptyMon Apr 17, 2017 11:04 am

I watched the first two episodes of Mushishi yesterday and am hooked so I thought why not make an anime recommendation thread? My first two that I love dearly and that both have a wonderfully serene, almost Mori Kei aesthetic and vibe to them are

Mushishi,
the tales of the wanderings of Ginko, a strangely white-haired, green-eyed man who can see mushi, tiny spirit entities that cause confusion and sometimes illness without being sentient enough to cause any harm on purpose. He wanders through what seems like a timeless feudal Japan helping people plagued by mushi. The overall tone of the anime is mellow and calm, with some instances of WTF horror (but not too much, and usually played for the sake of the story).

Natsume Yūjinchō aka. Natsume's Book of Friends
has a similar theme and vibe but centers around an awkward teenager able to see spirits and aided by a talking fat cat. Natsume didn't only inherit his grandmother's ability but also a book full of names of youkai (the spirits) bound to her. Aside from the usual slice-of-life adventures he sets out to return the names of as many youkai as he can (thus setting them free again).

Have you seen one or both of these? And what are your favourite anime (even better if they are somewhat changeling-y!)?
Back to top Go down
http://hedgefairy.wordpress.com
moonchild

PostSubject: Re: Anime Recommendations   Anime Recommendations EmptyTue Apr 18, 2017 4:43 pm

This is the first time I've heard of Mushishi, but it sounds lovely...!

And Natsume is bae <3 I've only seen the first series, but I loved it. It's nice (for me, at least) to finally find a series that doesn't have the obligatory romantic focus, since I can take or leave romance in series or books. A nice film I can recommend along the lines of Natsume is a Letter to Momo, it's fantastic Smile

I also like AnoHana for something emotional, Magic Knight Rayearth for good old-fashioned magical girl epicness, Princess Tutu and Kobato for cuteness, and I really loved the Little Witch Academia OVAs and Mahoutsukai ni Taisetsuna Koto (love any anime that involves witches and magic!).

(I haven't watched anime regularly for years, but writing this made me miss it! I'll check out Mushishi tonight...)
Back to top Go down
Hedgefairy
Storyteller

Character Sheet
Name:

PostSubject: Re: Anime Recommendations   Anime Recommendations EmptyWed Apr 19, 2017 9:55 am

I watched the Little Witch Academia OVAs with Polly/forestmermaid recently and we plan to watch the series together via twitter, do you want to join us?
Magic Knight Rayearth was my first manga right after Sailor Moon so I'm really fond of it, too. Very Happy

I'll check out A Letter To Momo, too!
Back to top Go down
http://hedgefairy.wordpress.com
moonchild

PostSubject: Re: Anime Recommendations   Anime Recommendations EmptyWed Apr 19, 2017 3:57 pm

Thanks for the offer, but I'm good ^^

Also, I watched the first ep of Mushishi last night, really liked it Smile It is very like Natsume yuujinchou! It has a flavour of Studio Ghibli about it, somehow.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Anime Recommendations   Anime Recommendations Empty

Back to top Go down

Anime Recommendations
Page 1 of 1

Permissions in this forum:You cannot reply to topics in this forum
The Wunderkammer Chronicles :: The Changeling Life :: All Stories Are True-
Jump to: